Today I finally found some time to continue my carving practice. After first tests with balsa and basswood – I ended up with a piece of pear wood. It’s a bit harder to cut and carve, but somehow I found it a better fit for carving basic shapes and sanding more flowing lines. The Dremel multitool I’m using is far from ideal, but helps to work out basic shapes before extensive sanding marathons.
Results from today are already quite close to what I had in mind when designing the lure shape of “Robin”, but I’m still not 100% happy with the outcome and more important the cast amount of time I have to put into a single lure body. But I’m taking things easy as I’m not aiming to create bigger numbers.
During the next days I will try to get a better idea of the final hook positioning and some additional parts to add a bit of extra-spark to this tiny and still quite simple lure design.
It feels really good to craft things with ones own hands again and I’m looking forward to final results. To be continued…
These blog entries might also be of interest for you.