During the last days I continued carving the Basswood and Ayous-based lure bodies I mentioned in my last post. Things are going quite well and while I’m hoping to finish a first set during the next days, I’m trying to work on some design variations featuring slightly different sizing and density.
Besides that, I spent more time rethinking the original lure shape and about ways to improve or to even rework it’s main characteristics and resulting movement. While the pencil design I worked on so far is a quite versatile all-round-weapon for different fields and situations, I would like to focus more on a design that works well in flats and other shallow areas and is designed to cover wider areas in search for the big ones. I’m looking to achieve a design that creates high appeal through a wide wobbling action without creating too much water resistance (think convenience). If that makes any sense… :)
Again, I found myself drawing some inspiration from Tadashi Nishioka’s Balsa50 design from the 70’s, but adding my own spin on things with a balancing approach similar to the one I already utilized for the pencil design. Of course balance-weight positioning and orientation and sizing of the lip are the most crucial aspects that need to be tested and prototyped during the next weeks.
As for coloring and coating I completely gave up on the idea of buying an airbrush setup. Instead I spent a lot of time thinking about colors and tools that will allow detailed designs and thin layering of base and accent-colors but is more affordable and to handle even without a completely equipped workshop. Basically something that’s working well with the ultra-hard 2k-coating I already used for my prototypes so far and offers enough design options and creative leeway.
I came up with a high quality, lightfast and ageing-resistant acrylic primer, which is not only serving as a basis for further coloring, but is also easy to sand in order to create an ultra-fine base-layer that’s allowing a clean and even finish. Besides that, I will try out a combination of fine artist’s acrylic colors and acrylic spay paint. I’m aware there’s an extensive and time-consuming testing-phase coming up, but I’m hoping that the results will be worth these efforts. *crossing fingers and toes*
These blog entries might also be of interest for you.