Earlier today I spent a bit more than and hour at a nearby lake for a last round of testing and final tweaking of latest prototypes. With temperatures around 20°C and sunshine, I could already smell the andalusian mountains…
Test where highly successful and after some minor tweaking of balancing weights (the adjustable center weight is worth a patent!) all three variants of the pencil design where moving smoothly and as expected. The higher wood density of basswood has shown it’s advantage here, but the reduced weight of the Ayous variant is even more fun to fish on my Distill GL58 rod.
I also did a short movie documenting movement and action:
Unfortunately the smaller crank-version didn’t work that well, but it seems to be just a minor issue that I might be able to fix with some modification to the lip angle and positioning. Overall the results are satisfying and I’m again one step closer to characteristics and movement I had in mind when designing this kind of unusual body shape.
I’m already thinking about possible new iterations of these new versions. A slight reduction of overall size is the first thing that comes to my mind and I will clearly pushing for timbers with higher wood density from now on. Now let’s see if my own lure designs will catch some fish during the 10-day trip to Spain!
These blog entries might also be of interest for you.